Health & Safety
The aims of St Mary’s University College policy are:
- to promote standards of safety, health and welfare which comply fully with the terms and requirements of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order 1978 and all other relevant statutory provisions and Approved Codes of Practice;
- to maintain a Health and Safety Management System that meets the requirements of the OHSAS 18001 safety standard;
- to provide and maintain a safe and healthy workplace, safe systems and methods of work, and to protect all staff, students and others, including members of the public, from foreseeable risk arising out of the St Mary’s University College work;
- to provide and maintain a safe and healthy working environment for all staff and students with adequate facilities and arrangements for their welfare;
- to provide all staff with the information, instruction, training and supervision required for them to work safely and without risk to their health;
- to develop safety awareness among all staff and students and in particular, individual responsibility for health and safety at all levels;
- to encourage full and effective consultation on health and safety matters.
The executive responsibility for Health and Safety in the various areas of the College rests with the Principal.
The ultimate responsibility for all health and safety matters lies with the Board of Governors as the employer of all staff. The Board discharges this responsibility by receiving appropriate reports and recommendations from the Health and Safety Committee and the Principal.
The Board of Governors meet on a regular basis and has the function and authority:
- to develop a Health and Safety Strategy which will be supported by appropriate policies and procedures in the managements of workplace health and safety and to regularly monitor and review health and safety activity, outcomes and trends.
- to be informed and updated on all health and safety matters.
The Health and Safety Committee in the College is chaired by the Director of Corporate Services. It is comprised of nominated representatives from college academic and support staff. This committee is responsible for advising College Management on appropriate health, safety and welfare policy issues.